This is a historical archive of information about Future Places 2008. Please start at the top of Futureplaces.org for current information.
Latest update: October 7
TUESDAY 7 OCT
10:30am-6:00pm: Arduino workshop, day one (School of Fine Arts)
10:00am-6:00pm: Interface Design workshop, day one (Serralves)
WEDNESDAY 8 OCT
10:30am-6:00pm: Arduino workshop, day two (School of Fine Arts)
10:00am-6:00pm: Interface Design workshop, day two (Serralves)
THURSDAY 9 OCT
10:00am-1pm: Interface Design workshop, work in progress discussion (Serralves)
2:00pm to 4:30: Official opening ceremony of FUTURE PLACES (Reitoria)
– Keynote addresses by UT Austin-Portugal representatives.
– Caroline Frick speaks on Texas Archive of the Moving Image
– The Museum of the Person: video conference by Ana Nassar
– Joana Miranda speaks on the recent U.Frame festival
6:00pm: Welcome reception with concert by BJNilsen (Casa da Música)
10:30pm: U.Frame and Black&White film retrospectives followed by party. DJing by PhDj Cruz (Passos Manuel)
FRIDAY 10 OCT
11:00am – 5:00pm: Future Places Conference: Viewpoints on Digital Media and Local Cultures – Session 1 (School of Fine Arts)
– BJNilsen, MSC Harding and Heitor Alvelos discuss work processes in field recording and digital music composition
– Stephan Baumann Head of Competence Center Computational Culture, German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence, speaks on his recent research on gathering of urban signals for well-being
– Nuno Correia speaks on the work developed at the UTAustin-Portugal Summer Institute 2008
– Pedro Leão speaks on CCRE, online platform for urban reinvention
– Presentation of Interface Design workshop outcomes
– Steven Devleminck speaks on Transmedia program (Sint-Lukas Academy, Brussels)
– António Câmara speaks on YDreams and national strategies for the development of Digital Media
– Heitor Alvelos and MSC Harding speak on social network project The Kingdoms of Elgaland-Vargaland
6:00pm: Stop NonStop: Elgaland-Vargaland anthem event (STOP Shopping Center)
10:00pm onwards: Screening of competing films and presentation of competing performance pieces followed by party (Passos Manuel and Maus Hábitos)
SATURDAY 11 OCT
10:00am – 5:30pm: Active Media 2.0 workshop (School of Fine Arts)
2:00pm – 5:00pm Future Places Conference: Viewpoints on Digital Media and Local Cultures – Session 2 (Reitoria)
– Philip Dean talks about MediaLab Helsinki program and projects
– Pedro Custodio speaks on how SHIFT conference addresses local cultures
– MAPA event: how Portuguese Education is handling digital media (Open forum led by representatives of Portuguese Universities)
7:00pm: Exhibition Opening and Award ceremony (Reitoria)
11:00pm: Closing party with the Future Places Impromptu All-Stars Orchestra (Casa da Música).
Exhibition will remain open until October 19.
TUESDAY OCT 7 – SATURDAY OCT 11
Maus Hábitos to function as headquarters:
Networking, informal meetings and talks to take place. They also serve great vegetarian lunches!