This is a historical archive of material from Future Places 2009.
For current information, please see the Future Places home page.
The Call for Entries is now CLOSED!
Submit instead at radiofutura until August 15.
Future Places 2009: Digital Media Festival
October 13 – 17, 2009
Due to demand, the deadline is now June 22.
The FUTURE PLACES Festival is an international competition celebrating digital media work. FUTURE PLACES explores the potential of Digital Media when applied to specific cultural and social environments.
The festival features exhibitions, conferences, workshops, concerts, performances and parties. We are interested in creative and new languages for interactive and media expression, and their impact on local cultures, society and public space.
We want to reach a generation of creators who are breaking conventions. We are addressing this call to those who are blurring the lines not only between disciplines, but also between the real and the virtual and between the commercial, the artistic, and the academic arenas. Mainly, we want to explore the impact of new technologies in “real life”. How can new technology build local communities, create new identities, new narratives, and new forms of public interaction?
Workshops and conference panels will be facilitated by national and international figures in Digital Media; names will be announced in May. The Future Places website will be available by mid-March; the online submission process will begin March 20.
First prize: 3000€
Second prize: 1000€
FUTURE PLACES recognizes the authors of the best works presented at the festival with two cash prizes, and the opportunity to participate in a three-month residential program at the University of Porto and/or at the University of Texas at Austin. The winner will be offered airfare and three months’ lodging at the residency site.
The submission of entries is open to all those who work in the Digital Media field. No particular nationality or academic affiliation is required.
1) Projects in any media may be entered. The exhibition is content-based, so submissions will be primarily evaluated for their suitability to the Festival theme: The impact of Digital Media in Local Cultures.
2) Entries should refer to work produced between 2007 and 2009.
3) Any works currently in production may be submitted as rough cuts or drafts. However, if selected, authors must provide work in final form by September 25th, 2009. Works that have been selected but whose authors have not sent work in their final form by September 25th will be excluded from the festival. In the case of installations or performances, “final form” refers to photos, illustrative of the project.
4) Every submission must include a detailed synopsis of the work (maximum 1000 words) as well as illustrative pictures and/ or video, when appropriate.
5) Submissions must be made online at www.futureplaces.org, which will be accepting entries from March 2009. Emails and postal deliveries will not be considered. More instructions regarding submission of image, video and audio entries will be available on the website.
6) Submissions sent after 11:59pm on June 22, Porto local time, will not be considered.
7) A jury composed by three independent commissioners will select the final projects that will be exhibited and will compete at the festival.
8) The decision of the judges is final.
9) Material submitted to the festival – even if not selected – will not be returned to the author(s). Material not selected will not be used in any way.
10) The Future Places festival retains the right to display accepted submissions, as well as photographs, sound recordings, and videos of accepted submissions, both online and offline. These displays will be non-commercial, and may be used to promote the festival and its organization.
For more information about festival rules and policies, please see the website www.futureplaces.org
Future Places 2009 Submission Schedule:
March 20: Submissions will be accepted at www.futureplaces.org
June 22: Submission deadline. All submissions made before the deadline will be acknowledged via email.
August 15: Prospective festival entries are informed of acceptance or rejection.
September 25: All final supporting materials must be submitted.
For inquiries, please contact
Karen Gustafson: email@example.com
Fátima São Simão: firstname.lastname@example.org